Van Zellers & Co was officially established as a Port Wine shipper in 1780, by the first generation of Portuguese van Zellers. One of the earliest larger shippers, it was sold to other wine merchants in the middle of the 19th century.
It was reacquired by the van Zeller family in the 1930s, when it was incorporated by Quinta do Noval.
Van Zellers & Co. was again sold by the van Zeller family along with Quinta do Noval in 1993, entering a stage of dormancy, with no stocks or commercial activity.
In 2006 it was finally reacquired, company and its brands. That same year they started producing the "VZ" and "Van Zellers" Douro DOC wines, and in 2009 the Van Zeller Ports, thus opening a new chapter in this more than two-hundred-year-old company.